Grateful for summer, memories and life

As I walk through the park, green grass
bubbling water
amber brown river
the birds singing their song

I love it!

I walk with my buddy Mojohowitz, my rat terrier.
He leaps and runs, stops and smells
He releases himself on a tree
He hunts in the taller grasses
Mojo brings me joy just watching him frolic, having fun

The kids playing, stop and give Mojo a pet, a belly rub, a scratch on the chin
They are eating chicken Mom made, and I am envious.
Sure the chicken looks delicious, but it's the memory they are making
The memory of time with Mom enjoying nature.
I want the memory much more than the chicken.

I need it!

This beautiful day, blue skies, warm sun on my back
cool breeze provided by the Prairie river.
Maybe it's because I live in Wisconsin, the winter is so harsh
Every nice summer day is like a rare jewel.

The snapping turtles seem to not know what to do
Should they bask in the warm sun, or take a cool swim
The geese say come swim, it's divine.

The animals teach us

I see litter, a potato chip bag stuck on a branch in the river
a soda bottle floating downstream...
I know the turtles and the geese didn't put it there.
Can't blame the squirrels or the singing birds.
Man, supposedly superior in thinking ability..

I think the ducks, geese, turtles, birds..
They know much more than I do in many ways.

I think about God.

He has given us so much.

Don't need color vision to live,
to see the brilliant green grass, the blue bauble that is the sky

Don't need hearing to live,
But what would a summer day be without the songs of the chickadee, the robin, the oriole?

The tune the mother is humming, so beautiful and slow... did she make it up?
I can't place it.

Don't need taste to live, as long as it is nutritious I would survive...
but that chicken is looking better and better all the time, along with the green beans, carrots and sliced fried potatoes...

I wipe the drool from the corner of my mouth.

Don't need touch to live, but that cool breeze feels wonderful, those warm sun rays on my back..
The cool river on my hot feet is a treat.

I hear an old woman complain about the sun in her eyes..
I don't think I could muster a complaint if my life depended on it.

As I walk my Mojohowitz home, he smells every tree, jumps and plays
He knows we are leaving this place, and wants to squeeze all the park fun in he can.
He puts a smile on my face.

Home, Mojo crashes on his bed. I give him fresh water and a treat, but he is tuckered out from all the play, as am I.

As he nods off, I assure him we will return to that blessed place, Stange Park, in Merrill Wisconsin.

Come visit it on a warm summer day, and you won't be sorry.

I am hungry thanks to the chicken.
After eating a turkey sandwich, it's time for a afternoon nap with my buddy.

Good day to all of you!

-Denny

No comments:

Post a Comment