The Wisconsin deer hunter's friend

Sitting in the snow with my orange jump suit on, sitting as quietly as possible.
Nothing stirs, nothing moves. It would be boring if it were not so beautiful.

Then a curious little animal emerges. At first the animal is on a near by tree branch.
Then on your knee. Then there is another one on the brim of your cap.

Then, as if to say “he's friendly” you get one on your gun barrel
and one on your shoulder.

Then it comes time for this unique little animal to greet you.
The animal says “Chick a dee dee dee!”.

As they flutter back and forth landing on this and that.
Cocking their heads towards you to get a better look.

You get a smile on your face.

It's as if this native bird is saying “Welcome to the neighborhood.”

Although I get a sneaking suspicion that some of them are
just enjoying the heat my body is emanating.

After all, bird feet must get cold too, I would imagine.
In either case, I have been entertained and felt delight over my new found friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment